"Distraction Burglary" scams usually tend to target the elderly. They will offer cheap prices for driveway sealcoating, or cheap offers on tree trimming to name a few of their scams. They will distract the potential victim by bringing them to a different part of the home or into the yard, at that point someone else will enter the home and steal cash, jewelry or any other expensive items that can be removed easily or not noticed immediately by the home owner.
Another ploy that is used is they pretend to be working for a utility company and ask to come into your home to check on a problem that they need to fix. They will tell you that it’s an emergency and it needs to be addressed quickly.
Easy ways to avoid being a victim
- Never leave your home or car unlocked even if you’re just going to the backyard
- Always ask for identification
- Look to see if there is a name on the work truck. You will recognize the names of the bigger companies out there
- Remember the old adage “If it’s too good to be true”
- If your uncomfortable, call 911 the Police will be happy to check on the situation and make sure you don’t become a victim
Winter will be here before we know it and another way criminals will take your money is by claiming they will plow your snow for a low rate if you pay them up front. Once you pay them you will never see them again. If you decide to go this route make sure you deal with a reputable company. Check them out on the internet or by reference.